Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Week 5: Minus one appendix

Hey everyone!!!!!

So wow this has been a crazy week!!!!! After I emailed you all, that night  my companion woke me up at 2:30 in the A.M. saying that she had a sharp pain in her stomach and that she needed to go to the front desk. At first she thought it might have been nausea or stress like she'd experienced before, but it wasn't going away and it was getting worse. So we went to the front desk (where there is someone 24/7 in case we need someone. So grateful) and they called the
​​
doctor. He told us that she needed to be checked out and that the only clinic open was the E.R. So off we went. After an ultrasound, blood being drawn (IV), and a CT scan, we found her appendix was enlarged, and that they were going to take it out. Let me just tell you that Sister Hughes HATES needles. So when she was told she had to have an IV put in, she had a mini panic attack. We spoke Chinese and I think that helped distract her a little bit, but it was funny cause the nurse (jokingly) told her to suck it up. She's such a good sport about everything. Never once have I seen her discouraged about anything that she's been going through. She's just such an awesome example. (she gave me permission to share all of this)

Anyway, she was fine after the IV. Like with all the other tests. I went back to the MTC (so I could get changed and eat, because by this time it's like 7:30 or 8:00 am) and I came back with the sister training leader and her companion (Sister Erickson and Sister Skinner, who are also in our room and district). We called the branch presidency and Brother Avarett, the first counselor, dropped everything he was doing and went and gave her a blessing. (Wait, side note, I should make sure that you know that I received permission to leave my companion at the hospital.) Anyway, all three of us sisters went back to the hospital and hung out with Sister Hughes for a little longer before she went into surgery. Around 10:30 am she was rolled in her bed into surgery. The other sisters and I went and waited. 

We met this wonderful family who's husband/son (depending on who you were talking to) was in surgery at the same time. He had accidentally shot his foot while hunting.
​T​
he mom of this man insisted that she take us to lunch. So we went, and she talked to us about all the miracles that had happened (with her son), and how she had received a blessing saying that he would be ok. It was such a good experience to see her faith. To see that in a time of such despair (he almost died), that her faith was still strong. I know that the Lord blessed us with this experience.

It was awesome, because being in a Utah hospital, as missionaries, we basically were celebrities. There wasn't 5-10 min that we weren't talking to someone. I mean I wish I could say we were the ones who initiated the conversation, because you know missionaries are supposed to do that. But I guess we are a little awkward when it comes to the English thing.... haha just kidding. But in reality everyone came up and talked to us. It was a pretty exciting day.

Around 12, Sister Hughes came out of surgery. And I just gotta say I love anesthesia. She was absolutely hilarious! I got about 45 min of her talking. Like you know those funny videos you can look up on YouTube of people coming out after their wisdom teeth surgery? Or any video after surgery really. I hope you know what I'm talking about. ANYWAY, she was hilarious. I can't describe it to you, just know that she was the best. And it made my whole life. Ok maybe not my life, but it was a pretty good highlight of my day/week. It was awesome though because even though she was completely out of it, she really showed where her heart is. She would point to the TV (that was off) and say "You can't watch that." Then she pointed to herself and said "I'm obedient". She had these ice pieces that the nurses gave her (so her mouth wouldn't be so dry), and they looked like little cigars. She said "This is like a cigar. Don't smoke!" She also made the nurse pinkie promise her that she wouldn't drink. Haha. She also looked at the clock and says "We are going to be late for class! We have to go teach! He's depending on us!" I tried to explain to her that she just had an organ out but she says "We need to take this bed and go!" She also sang Hakuna Matata!!!! Oh my goodness I know this probably isn't funny in writing, but I laugh just thinking about it! Haha sorry!

Because she caught her appendicitis so early, she had a really short recovery. She didn't even have to stay in the hospital. Well she stayed for another 4 hours after the surgery but that was just to make sure she was ok and to make sure the anesthesia wore off. So we got back to the MTC around 4:00 or 4:30. The rest of the week was hard. Just because we were so exhausted. We spent a lot of time in the room, but I felt so guilty taking a nap because I was like "I'm not the one who needs to recover. I should be studying" But I really wasn't effective because I was so exhausted. It was hard. I feel like I lost a whole week because I wasn't really there mentally. Like honestly I don't remember much of the week besides that. Being tired, I also became frustrated really easy. Not at people, but at myself. I also was really overwhelmed because I realized there was so much I need to improve and work on. But I have no idea where to start, and what to do to improve. So that's been my main frustration, but also I felt I haven't progressed much in Chinese because of everything that was going on. 

Even though I feel I didn't really progress in the ways I wanted to, I know my testimony was strengthened of serving others, and focusing on others. I loved being able to help and serve Sister Hughes. I love knowing I'm needed and love knowing that I am being useful/helpful. My testimony grew in faith, and in service. So for that, I am grateful. This week will be much better though!!! 

On Wednesday I got to host! Sister Hughes stayed in sick bay (up in the clinic here at the MTC, so that I could continue with the schedule). But it was so fun! It didn't last very long but it was awesome! I loved being able to help others! I also get to host this next Wednesday! So I'll be hosting when Abby and Chase come. Chances are very slim that I will host them (there are 600 missionaries coming in this week). But yea! Oh I also was called to be one of the sister training leaders. Meaning I'm in charge of welcoming the new sisters, and in charge of relief society etc. It's interesting because there are 3 of us. Usually there's only 2, but at the last minute President Newell (the branch president who used to be an ambassador for Sweden and he worked in the white house. Side note. He's amazing) felt like there needed to be three. So we will see. I'm excited. I found out that someone from Beijing (that I met when I was
​ there​
 in April) is going to be in my zone, so that's cool. Soren Hendrickson? I don't know how to spell it. And Abby and Chase are going to be in the same district and they are going to be in the other zone :( But Abby will be in the same hall as me. Like next door actually. Hopefully she's excited! I haven't even talked to her at all! 

One of the Elder's in our district is having health problems too. Our district is apparently the sick district haha. Not really but it brings us closer together, because we really have to support each other. 

This week's Sunday devotional was awesome. We had a women's/sisters conference and it was great. It really made me think. One of the speakers shared a story about her granddaughter. Basically (long story short), her 18 month old granddaughter had too much stuff in her hands, and she couldn't pick up the doll that she wanted. The speaker related this to our lives. She said "What's the stuff that is preventing you from progressing?" That's my challenge for you this week. Find something that is keeping you from progressing. Ask God to help you know what it is. But find the "stuff" that is holding you back, and work to get rid of it. I will be doing that this week! So do it with me! :D 

I love you all so so much! I am so grateful to be a missionary. During the Sunday evening films (we get to watch a movie or talk every Sunday evening after devo), I watched The Testaments. It was amazing because the Spirit testified to me so strongly that this church is true. That Jesus Christ really came to the America's and that the Book of Mormon
​ testifies that He​
 lives. I share with you my personal testimony/conviction that the Savior lives. He lives and he will come again. He loves each one of you, and knows you personally. I know that is said over and over again but it's true. He knows you, He knows your heart, and he care. He wants to help you. He pleads for you to let Him in and to let Him help you. I know that if you turn to Him, in anything that you do, that you will find comfort. Turn to Him in everything you do, big or small. You will find help. I hope all of this made sense!!!!! I love you all again!!!

Talk to you soon!!!
Love, 
Sister Roberts
(羅姐妹-Luo Jie Mei)

First snow at the MTC


Celebrating our halfway mark in the MTC with mom's care package





Sister Hughes is so funny!



No comments:

Post a Comment