Monday, November 30, 2015

Week 7: Happy Late Thanksgiving!

Hey everyone!!!

I hope everyone had a great thanksgiving!!! I should have said that last week but I forgot :) Ooops. So my week was fantastic!!! It started off kinda bad though. I'll explain :)

I spent the first two days of the week sick. I had a fever, and I was super lightheaded. I also had a sore throat. But I had a sore throat for like a week. So a few days before I had a fever, and a few days after. My lungs were also super tight. I don't know what it was. But it was not fun. So I missed class Monday night and I also missed some class on Tuesday. Nothing really special happened on Tuesday. 

Because I'm a sister training leader, I was able to be a big part of the MTC service project that I hope all of you saw/heard about. We had a couple meetings on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday because we were in charge of helping train our group to do the project. It was an assembly line, so we were in charge of teaching people what to do. Maybe I should explain what the service project was first. This company called "Feeding Children Everywhere" feeds children. Surprise there right? But they have created a healthy, cheap meal that feeds 6 people. What we did was we put together these meals. It was a lentil casserole, and had lentils, salt, rice, and dried vegetables. So at the beginning of the assembly line, the ingredients were measured and put into a bag. Then the next people weighed them, and adjusted accordingly. (The bags needed to be a certain weight). Then the next people sealed the bag, then the next boxed them. I was a leader so I set up, trained people, and supervised. It was so so fun! Our goal was to assemble 350,000 bags, and we ended up assembling 367,000! How cool!!! Anyway, that was Thursday.

Wednesday, Sister Hughes and I decided to match. It was fun haha, but we got so many compliments, and I didn't know whether I should be proud or embarrassed J. We counted how many times people commented and it was at least 20. Someone even asked to take a picture with us. Sister H. also had a check up with her surgeon. So we got to leave the MTC. It was exciting, but a little depressing at the same time because it wasn't very fun going back...knowing that I wasn't going to leave again until I went to Taiwan. I'm just really ready to go to Taiwan. So it was hard going back. Wednesday right before we went to lunch, the director of operations came into our room. Sister H and I were the only one's there because the other Sisters were at the doctors, and the Elders were somewhere else. He asked us to find our Elders and then call him back. We couldn't find them anywhere, so we decided to kneel and pray and as soon as we finished, they walked in. Anyway, the director came back and he explained to us that we had been recommended to be interviewed for the media that was going to be at the service project. He asked us if we wanted to, and we of course said yes. So we spent the next 20-30 min prepping. Figuring out what to say, what not to say, etc. It was so fun!!! And being interviewed was such an awesome experience. And doing the service project was such a great way to not focus on myself, and to really enjoy Thanksgiving.

(Insert from Dad ... here are the links to the articles if anyone wants to read them):
Here is the Provo Daily Herald article

Here is the Deseret News Article

KSL article and newscast of the event. 


On Thursday, the day started off with a devotional by Elder Oaks!!! How cool is that? It was even cooler because his family performed a bunch of musical numbers. And they are all amazingly talented. They were like children prodigies. Also, I think it was his daughter, but Jenny Oaks Baker, and her kids were the ones who performed. They were all amazing!!!! The whole day was just so amazing. I wasn't homesick at all and I was just so happy all day. I am so grateful to the MTC presidency who put so much work into making the day great! It went so smooth. Oh we also had Thanksgiving lunch, not dinner. But it was awesome because I had the impression that we wouldn't be having a Thanksgiving dinner at all, because of the service project. So when I walked in to the cafeteria and saw Turkey (real, not frozen like normal J), and stuffing, and fruit salad, and pie, I gotta say I was so so so happy!!!! I'm just so grateful, and I'm not even saying that because it was Thanksgiving! We had three devotionals on Thanksgiving, one from Elder Oaks, another by the Church Humanitarian guy, and then a talent show kind of devo at the end of the day. It was so so so great! The Spirit was so strong all day. Oh we also got to watch 17 miracles! Awesome :) 

A few funny little things this week…we played rock paper scissors in class and Wu Lao Shi has this different way of playing it! :) You start facing your opponent with your feet together. Every time you lose, you have to take a step to the side. So basically you lose when you are in a straddle and can't go down any further. It was so fun. I hope you can all imagine that :) It was pretty great. 

Elder Joly’s mom sent him a 3 ft Christmas tree and I can't tell you how much it has lifted our spirits! We decorated the tree on Sunday. We also named it Tingdrick. We were at first going to name it Ting because our favorite class song (In our lovely deseret), goes "Ting ting ting................” which means hear. But anyway, then Sister Hughes, my wonderful companion if you haven't gotten that by now, wanted to name the tree Fredrick, so we combined them. It's precious. He's the cutest little tree!!!! And Elder Joly's mom also sent him ornaments so we decorated it!  It's so so so cute!!!! Alright I'm done. I'm just grateful the tree isn't mine, cause then I don't have to worry about disposing of it, or moving it around haha. 

Saturday nights are always hard because we have class time in the morning and study time in the evening, so it's really hard to focus. We did pretty well though, or better than we normally do, except for the 30 min we spent laying on the floor and shooting rubber bands at the ceiling. It was great. 

Sunday was great. For our movie, we watched Elder Holland's MTC devotional called "Missions are Forever" and if you know him, you know how he speaks. So just imagine him saying "DON'T YOU DARE LET THESE 18 MONTHS OR 24 MONTHS GO TO WASTE! DON'T YOU DARE!" Etc. etc. He just spoke so powerfully!!! Good motivation. 

I'm itching to get out of the MTC. I saw some pictures of Taiwan, and it just reminded me so much of China. I just can't wait! Although the districts who were ahead of us have sent us e-mails and one Elder said "I think I learned the wrong language. No one understands me, and I don't understand anyone".... so I guess I'm not looking forward to that. 

Anyway, that's all I've got for ya! Over these 7 weeks, my testimony has grown so strong. I can officially say that my heart burns with testimony. My heart and whole spirit burn with testimony that this church is true. That God and Jesus Christ live. God has a plan for us, and has created so many ways for us to be happy. I know with every fiber of my being that Jesus Christ is our Savior, and I want to testify of Him until I can't anymore. He is always there for us, and He will never leave you comfortless. Trust in Him, trust in the Spirit, and turn to God in everything that you do. 

I love you all so much! See ya next week! I've got 2 weeks from today until I leave!!!! 2 weeks exactly!!! (I leave on Dec 14th, if you didn't get that). 

Love,
Sister Roberts
Luo Jie Mei

Btw Dad, people have told me I'm pretty loud for a small person! And I make sure to tell them your now famous quote, "What you lack in height, you make up in vocal strength" Gotta love it!!!

To answer your questions:
1.Yes I got over my sickness within a few days. 

2. Yes I still am playing piano everyday, and I'm also working on composing my own piece! Sister Hughes is so good though to let me play! I'm so grateful. Piano is my stress reliever, and it's the way I think! I'm so grateful for music. Languages need translating, but music doesn't. Something I learned from Elder Oaks.

3. No I'm not taking photos of my teachers. The red head actually was only a sub teacher. He's with another district now. I will when we all take a group picture.

4. No, I don't hear anything about my visa until I'm about to leave. Which is dumb, but I get my flight plans sometime this week!!!!!!!!!!!! Probably Friday!!!!!!!!!!!

I love you all and I have to say that I got a KICK out of "me sitting at the table". I loved loved loved that!!!!!!!!!! Absolutely hilarious!!!! :D :D :D

I'll send pictures!!!! Bye!!!!!! I MISS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!












No comments:

Post a Comment